Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
The Smoke Alarm Legislation under the Ontario Fire Code states that every home must have a working smoke alarm on every story, and outside all sleeping areas. The homeowners and landlords are responsible for supplying, and installing smoke alarms.
Carbon monoxide is a clear, colorless and odorless gas known as the silent killer. It is toxic to the hemoglobin found in our red blood cells that transports oxygen in our bodies. Exposure to excessive carbon monoxide can cause death and severe illness. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning generally include weakness, nausea, shortness of breath, confusion, dizziness and headache. After exposure to carbon monoxide it is extremely important to get into fresh air, and call emergency services. It is extremely important to ensure there is ventilation wherever fuel-burning appliances are present to prevent the accumulation of carbon monoxide, and ultimately prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
The Carbon Monoxide Alarm Legislation under the Ontario Fire Code states that it is mandatory to have a carbon monoxide alarm in every residential building that has fossil fuels as their heating source, and/or an attached garage to the building. Homeowners and landlords are responsible for supplying and installing alarms,and the alarm should be installed by the manufacturer’s recommended area near the bedroom.
Maintenance of Carbon Monoxide Detectors and Smoke Alarms
To view the rules and regulations, along with the proper maintenance instructions of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors you may click on the appropriate link below. Following these rules and regulations will ensure you will not faces any charges and ensure your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms work efficiently and properly to keep you and your family safe.